Above: Select the required shipbuilder by using initial letter of the surname eg: Armstrong, Palmer or Readhead.
Shipbuilder: R & D Lambie, Wallsend (1892 - 1972) Above builder's plate is courtesy of Tyne Enterprise
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D means basic dimensions are shown; H means a history is given; P means one or more photographs are available)
Lambieís was founded in 1870 in Greenock and the brothers Robert & David set up in Wallsend in 1892.
They grew from a three-man operation to one of the largest boat-building yards in the North East.
The 1940 Trade Directory lists Robert D Lambie, boat-builder from Wallsend Quay, residing in Hawthorn Villas on Wallsend Green.
His son, Morison, joined the firm in 1927 aged 18 and took over its running after his fatherís death in 1946.
In 1958 they were granted a licence to build glass-fibre boats and exhibited at the National Boat Show in Olympia.
Their first Yacht, the 30ft four-berth Wanderer class Airedale, based in Scarborough, was to race to the USA in 1969.
Lambie was bought out in May 1972 by Ryton Marine Group who were declared bankrupt shortly afterwards.
Lambie was then taken over by Strucprosers of Newcastle and uprooted after 80 years near Willington Gut on the Tyne to Preston Village.
In 1981 a new lifeboat built in conjunction with a Dutch firm was another first for Lambie as it was produced, at a cost of £200,000, to withstand extreme heat in oil rig/tanker escapes.
Details courtesy of the Wallsend News
Shipbuilder: R & D Lambie, Wallsend (1892 - 1972)
Above builder's plate is courtesy of Tyne Enterprise