Above: Select the required shipbuilder by using initial letter of the surname eg: Armstrong, Palmer or Readhead.
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D means basic dimensions are shown; H means a history is given; P means one or more photographs are available)
William Cleland established his yard at the Willington Slipways in 1866 (see the above map and the site is between the Tharsis Copper Works and the Tyne Iron Shipbuilding yard). This yard had previously been operated by a number of shipbuilders before he moved there. William Cleland had Clyde origins and was initially a manager for T & W Smith of North Shields. In the 1860s he left Smiths and moved to the yard of Palmer Brothers at Willington Quay. However after Palmers became a limited company in 1865 he left to begin business for himself. The business was incorporated as a limited liability company in 1872.
The following vessels were built by the companies: